Monday, October 20, 2014

Textual analysis on Kerrang! magazine


Kerrang! is a weekly hard rock music magazine & the most popular music magazine in the early 2000's. Kerrang! is often criticised by fans for their immensely biased critiques of bands, pandering to the fans of a certain band & treating them as godheads one moment before forgetting about them to move onto the next. This is no concern of mine, especially since I have rarely listened to the cover stars on Kerrang, hence why i chose this cover to analyse. I am familiar with Rammstein & they were the closest thing to a band popular in the gothic subculture I could find. The covers of Kerrang magazines are always quite busy, with this one being surprisingly restrained compared to some I have seen. This is because the magazine appeals to people aged between 13-25 mostly, as these are the people able to see the most & they would want to have a busy cover to hold their attention. My magazine will be appealing to more older (middle-aged people & people in their 30's make up the bulk of the subculture these days) so I will not make it as busy as Kerrang but certainly more busy than Propaganda (see previous post), the minimalism of which worked well in the 80's & 90's, but probably not as well today. A good point about Kerrang that I will use is the range of information, from bands & gigs to festivals, competitions, interviews & posters. I would like a similar wide range of features in my coursework. 

No comments:

Post a Comment